Healthcare service is a very mandatory and vital one that has been needed by almost every other person in the world. Everyone knows how traumatizing can a healthcare organisation be at times, and how arduously the employees work day and night to meet every patient’s need. It must be noted that working in a healthcare organisation requires you to possess a very calm mindset, for, it calls for some alarming situations among patients which leads to panic. But we are here today to discuss a few of the hacks which will make every employee’s lives easier and also make their work effectively while dealing with complaints.
- Tune in to every bit of their words: This point has to be borne in mind when a patient is terrified what they do is – lose it. So, the concerned person has to be listened to in a very peaceful manner which will make them be at ease and explain everything precisely. An angry patient’s foremost need is to vent out the anger to somebody willing to listen and that is you. Never argue or answer back but simply listen.
- Affirming their sensitivity: In a healthcare organisation, the only meaningful action to show when a patient is in distress is to accept them, their words, and to make them feel that they are valuable ones. The patient has to be fathomed and also healed mentally by words so that their frustration cools down. Every single time, when a plight like this takes place, the person needs to stick to their mind, the patient is not in proper mental space to analyse.
- Be inquisitive about the dilemma: A detailed version must be heard from the patient to progress with any kind actions. Interrogations must be made to clear out every confusion and conclude with a solution in hand. The patient will be restless, and it is your responsibility to make them understand and assure that it will be solved.
- Assure the patient about the progress of your work: During a health problem, a severe crisis arises. During this crisis period what the patient party needs the most is an assurance from the management and authority. They need to be assured that their matter is being taken seriously. The management and the authorities are looking after their matter with utmost importance. They also need to be informed about the progress of the matter. Also, it should not seem to them that their case is being delayed. This assurance provides them with their much-needed comfort.
- Maintain proper procedure: The complaints of each patient should be properly documented. A record of the patients and the complaints need to be properly maintained. This helps in the proper functioning of the entire system. It makes the process of identifying and solving a problem a lot easier. The records help in staying updated about the patient. It also can give adequate information to the patient about his issue. It is necessary for both the authority and the patient to have adequate information about the matter against which there has been a complaint. This will help in understanding the cause for complaint and thus dealing with it.
- Satisfying your patient is the key: The most important criteria is to satisfy your patient. It doesn’t matter whether the complaint is extremely crucial or not. It doesn’t matter if the complaint is a major one or a minor one. But you should always be grateful to the patient for letting you know about their problem. For bringing it to your notice. The behaviour of the patient might not be cooperative. But you need to thank them for their cooperation in solving the problem. You always need to prioritize the patient and his complaint. Maintaining a formal yet cordial relationship with the patient is also essential.
Now, when we all know the few but vital points which must be kept in mind while dealing with patients during those critical situations.